Search This Blog

Sunday 22 October 2023

Glareshield Part II

 The cowling is in full swing, and working on FWF stuff.  I did the glareshield in Nov 2022, but there were a couple things that needed work.

  1. It is really tight to get in and out.  I have a feeling this is a COVID glareshield, that is not up to Glasair's regular spec
  2. I was not happy with the corners around the cage.  Needed more clearance.
  3. Need to mount the compass.  I mounted it in the middle of the main section of the panel, which is not the center of the airplane - and have to fill a couple holes.
  4. I did not open up the holes for the fans enough.
  5. I screwed up on the rounded edge on the pilot side, and tried to bond back in the piece I cut out.  Well, that did not go well so time to do it right.
  6. The finish on the glareshield is spotty.  The whole thing needs sanding, maybe some filling and a fresh coat of primer - or not.  Not sure what contact cement will stick best to.
So on a Sunday afternoon it is time to right these wrongs.  I have the material (leather) to finish it, and want to do so soon.

The glareshield has been trimmed, and the fiberglass deficiencies have been fixed.


I put the seat in so I could satisfy myself that I could see the indicators at the top of the panel with the glareshield in, sitting in the seat.  And yes I can.

This picture is taken from eye level.


Time for upholstery.

Glareshield and Bulkhead A cover going to the local upholstery guy tomorrow, and need to do a bit of hasty sanding and filling on the glareshield.  I really hope this works out...


Bulkhead A.  I painted it with JetFlex 'slate grey'... this was actually the first piece I painted (with a roller).  It looks lopsided, but it has been installed (which doesnt mean its not lopsided...)


This was originally 'zolatone' grey, but i sanded it and painted.  You can see a lot of defects in the fiberglass.

Dropped both pieces of with an upholsterer.  He is going to add a 1/4" foam pad to the bulkhead cover.  When he was starting to prep everything, he sent me the following picture.


There are a number of needle marks from some kind of previous embroidery attempt.  He asked me if I wanted to get a new one before he starts - but with Glasair moving to China, I think the chance of getting anything from them is less than zero.  Not very happy about this, as the kit was NOT CHEAP.  But guessing this was done by whomever they purchase it from.


Got everything back last night.  Looks really good.

All assembled, fit and working!



Need to get some brass screws for the compass, but other than that it is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment