Search This Blog

Thursday 12 October 2023

Wrap vs Paint - Wrap Test

I love wrap, and would like to use it to finish my Sportsman.  However, there are a few challenges that I want to experiment with to see if wrap is viable - specifically control surfaces (ailerons, flaps, elevator, trim tabs).  The challenge is the rivets along the trailing edge:  The shop heads are square, and how will the wrap cling to them.  I have asked multiple people that have wrapped their airplanes about this, and have never received a response.  I think most people do not wrap the wings and control surfaces...

Paint is expensive.  Lead times at shops are long.  I am an average painter at best.  Plus, best case is multiple months to get an aircraft painted.

I had some silver (White Aluminum) 3M 1080 wrap, and used that on my elevator trim tab as a test.  The trim tab has been completed for years.  All components were alodyned, and primed with zinc chromate.  My plan is to wrap right on top of the primer.


The elevator trim tab is big enough to get an idea of how this will work, but small enough I can work on it solo.

Based on my wrap experience to date, I had the following expectations:

  • Material would lay down easily.
  • Dome head rivets should be minimal effort to get the wrap to conform
  • Rivet tails will be the challenge on the trailing edges
  • Protruding arms / tabs will be a challenge and require a separate operation, or paint.
  • Corners / edges should be very doable

My first attempt was aborted as I messed up on the placement, and the wrap folded on top of itself - plus some stray fiberglass was on the table and got stuck to the wrap.  The wrap came off no issues, and did not visibly disturb the primer.  4 hands is better than 2 during initial placement of the wrap.

The seam is on the forward side of the tab, top and bottom of the hinge.  I layed the trailed edge down directly on the wrap and slowly worked forward on the top.  Same process for the bottom, but I needed to slit the wrap around the arm.

As stated above, my expectation was the wrap would conform to the 3/32nd rivets no problem.  That was NOT the case.



At first I tried the fingernail trick to get the wrap to sit down on the rivet.  That kinda worked, but did not look great.  I then bought this tool for getting fine detail to lay down.  The air bubbles remained.  Some times I could push them out, but most of the time no.  Heat seemed to make it worse.... the heat would expand the air pocket and make the wrap very pliable, which made it prone to wrinkling.

At this point, the experiment is pretty much dead.  Just for shits and giggles I tried a rivet tail, and as you would expect - no go.



Honestly, I have never had so many issues getting wrap to lay down.  BUT - this is 1080 wrap, and usually we use 2080.  So I have ordered some 2080 in the white aluminum colour - and will try again.  The 1080 is definitely a no go, plus if I had to do each rivet individually I would go insane.

Pulled the wrap off in a couple minutes.  No primer removal at all.

The new white aluminum wrap that showed up was 1080 again... I tried again, and no joy.  Same result.  I ordered a similar colour in 2080 but it is backordered.

So I tried with some yellow 2080.  Rather than trying to wrap the whole thing I am just going to do some test pieces and see how this is going to work.

First 2080 test.  Bottom.


Top


Marginally better.

I think my problem is technique.  I was starting at the trailing edge and pulling the wrap forward and then working the rivet flange.  I think I just had to much tension on the vinyl and it wasnt sucking down.  So I tried another smaller piece, but worked the flange and rivets first, and then started moving forward.

Bottom


Top


I think this is approaching acceptable.

I have been searching for tools and/or techniques for wrapping rivets.  Yesterday I came across this YouTube video that talked about this product.

Essentially you place the vinyl down and squeege everything but the line of rivets... leaving a channel for the air to escape.  Heat up the line of rivets, and run over it with the RollePro and done.  But, how well will it work on rivet tails?  

Ordered.  Will see how it works.

Received a did a quick test.



The rivet heads are really good using the RolleePro.  The tails are better, but not great.  

I saw on a YouTube video someone that put a straw at the end of the air channel to stop the vinyl from collapsing (as it tends to do when heated).  That will be the next test.

Putting this exercise on hold... when I get closer will go to a pro wrap shop and get their opinion, but at this point unless they have a super awesome solution, the aircraft will be painted.













No comments:

Post a Comment