Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 November 2022

Flap Position Sensor

Ever done something that you know is (close to) useless, but do it anyway?  And spend way to many hours in the process?  Yeah, been there.

The Advanced system on the ACM flaps / trim connector has flaps, aileron and elevator trim - both motor drive and position sensors.  The Sportman has manual flaps, so no need for the motor - but I want the position sensor (which is stupid me thinks).  I had the sensor, so it was just a question of mounting and wiring.

I ran all the wires from the FLAPS-TRIM connector.  Aileron trim is run to the right wing connector.  Elevator trim bundle is curled up in the back of the fuselage, and the flap bundle was sitting in the middle.

The bracket for mounting the sensor is deceptively simple.  Mounting it (using 2 adel clamps) is the challenge to get everything to line up and have nothing touching.

If you are going to do this (don't), get the 1.2" sensor.  Where I mounted it needs about 1" of travel, and I set it for about 0.1" of slop on either end so its not bottoming out.  The 'arm' is just a piece of welding rod, bent.  Yeah, that took 3 goes to get a good one.

Cutting to the end... Flaps retracted


Flaps extended


Wired and labeled.  I used solder sleeves.  Don't know why, because I hate them.  But in this application they seemed like the right choice.  I didnt shrink wrap everything like I usually do because I know these will break at some point.


There is a loop in the cable for WHEN the STUPID 26 GA wires break, there is enough slack to resplice.


No comments:

Post a Comment