Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 November 2022

Instrument Panel Redo (Carbon Shroud Only)

 It's a long and sad tale, but I had to replace my carbon panel with a new one.  Which meant cutting and fasteners all over again.  Carbon fiber is itchy... do not recommend cutting it and then going to bed.

The good news is everything is faster 2nd time around.  In 2 evenings I had everything cut and most of the fasteners installed.  I have to make new brackets for the nutplates on the switch plates, because of the switch plate dimensions, standard nutplates will show the rivets in the carbon.  Hopefully this too goes faster 2nd time around.



I am finally (almost) back to where I was in April (its now August).  Still missing a few fasteners that will need to be riveted in later.


I have been wiring like a madman for the past 2 days.  The aircraft front and aircraft rear ACM connectors are done.  The trim and flap connector is done on the ACM end, plus the aileron trim wing bulkhead connector.  There is still a ton of wiring to do.  Like days and days more.  Plus the engine wiring integration (which should be relatively easy... famous last words).

Everything is working as before, except I have added some wiring.

  • Autopilot servos:  Not working.  The ACM says they are drawing power, but the Skyview network cant see them.  Troubleshooting with Advanced. Fixed and working.  Factory harness was wired incorrectly, and I missed it.
  • Recognition light.  Working.
  • Wing wiring to bulkhead connectors.  Working
  • Glareshield fans.  
  • Overhead cabin light
  • Compass light
  • Aileron trim.  Not tested
  • Elevator trim.  Not tested
  • Flap position sensor.  Not tested (potentiometer not yet installed)

The last piece to mount is the magnetometer.  I dont know why, but I have been dreading this.  Used some foam / glass test pieces I had and just chopped them up.  Simple and light.  The below picture is bonded to the fuselage.  The aluminum bracket is just for placement and will be removed.




No comments:

Post a Comment