Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 November 2022

Fuse Panel

I have a couple circuits that I dont want to run through the ACM.  Why you ask?  Well, what if it fails.  Or, what if the current draw is high and the function is not essential?  

Things that are going to be fused and not through the breaker panel or ACM:

  1. LED indicators.  2 for the UL ECU (Check Engine and Low Battery - the ECU does not provide power for these, only a ground to activate them).  Plus another for the Alternate Air Inlet on the airbox.  Dont need carb heat as the engine is injected, but need an 'emergency' air source if the filter gets iced up.  1A circuit
  2. Header tank warning lights.  If the ECU dies, I want these alive and functional.  Another 1A circuit
  3. Seat lumbar support.  It has a small pump and inflates/deflates the bags in the seat.
  4. Seat heaters.  I am a wus.  I like seat heaters.  These draw more than the ACM has capacity for.
  5. Other stuff down the road.  Will be nice to have a place to get power that is somewhat readily accessible.  2 spare circuits.
I found a really nice automotive style 6 fuse panel that is small and light, and has indicator lights as to their health.


The plan is to mount it on the starboard side of the fuselage, just above the rudder pedals on the side of the fuselage.  The original plan was to make a plate and attach it to the cage tubes with adel clamps.  Well, I hate adel clamps, and mounting it up there with the bulk of the avionics installed would be a nightmare - so I decided to bond the bracket to the fuselage.

The bracket is a simple hat shape.  The tabs pick up the holes in the fuse panel, and the bulk of the bracket will be epoxied on.  The below pic is the bracket clecoed in place, ready for bonding.


Because its winter here, I need enough heat to get the resin to cure.  Luckily I have a big heater in the garage, but it will cost me.  The bracket has already been fit to the fuse panel so it should just screw in once cured.  I waited until a relatively warm day (aka 10 degrees C) to do this.

Done and first circuit wired (power for LED indicator lights and header warning lights).



No comments:

Post a Comment