Search This Blog

Friday 7 October 2022

Cowling and Extension - Part III

 In part I and II, the cowling was extended ~11".  Also, I dished and reinforced the top.  Now its onto the sides.

Going to do the sides one at a time.  Left side below.


2 laminates.  ~0.5" and 1" with peel ply on top.  Didnt get all the way to the bottom... going to deal with that separately after I figured out what I am going to do with the air exit ramp.  This time I chose to do it on the airplane - partially because I could, but mainly because it is holding in in the correct shape.

Its a bit messier then I would like, and will take a bit more cleaning up.

Right side next.


First round of filler on the top.  Mixture of resin, cabosil, and glass bubbles.  The large filler areas on the sides is where the aluminum picked up.  But there are 4 layers of glass under, and 2 on top, so I am not worried.

Sanded the top down to even everything out, then a 2nd round of filler and more peel ply (good thing I bought a roll.



I got most of the low spots on the first round.  

First round of filler on the left side of the lower cowl.


The transition from the side to the bottom had the largest gap.  Planning on a single layer of glass here to stiffen it up and prevent cracking.  Doing everything on this piece on the airplane to keep it in the correct shape and not sitting on a bench.

Going to give the right side another day before sanding.

Slowly getting everything built up to look right.






Going to do a little bit more on the top and lower sides, then moving on to the exit air ramp extension.  Planning to use a similar aluminum mold.

Lots of work travel coming up in October and November, so progress will be slow for the next bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment