Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 May 2024

Exhaust

 The UL engines comes with exhaust, muffler, etc.  Its all stainless, and very nicely welded.

There are two pipes... one off the turbo, and one off the wastegate.  Both are on V bands.

The OD of the pipe coming off the waste gate is ~2.38" (60 mm) and the turbo is 2.75" (70 mm).

The rough plan is to come off the pipes at a 45 heading towards the center.  Then another 45 to head out the bottom.

Note:  The waste gate can be rotate.  Mine was hitting the outlet pipe until I rotated that.  Once I rotated the waste gate now I can have the exhaust pointing straight down.

Going to mock everything up in place, tack everything, and then take it apart and get it finish welded - at least that was plan A.

Talked to the US UL Distributor, and asked what is the size of the pipes.  The response is "METRIC".  So where on earth can you find metric exhaust parts in North America?  I have found some, but they are not plentiful.

Ray (UL US Distributor) thinks that the factory can make exhaust with the correct tubing.  That would be good, but then the question is cost and shipping cost.  Regardless, I still have to mock everything up.

I bought a bunch of bends and fittings from the Aviation department of Amazon.  Here is what I discovered.

  • 2.75" tubing matches up really well with the 70mm exhaust.
  • 2.5" tubing slips over the 60mm wastegate end.


I have not cut anything yet.  Just wanted to get an idea where to go next.  I think this is going to work.

After staring (and cursing) this for weeks, I am giving up.  Going to find a shop that can just weld this up and I pay the bill.  Stupid god damn metric pipe.  I cannot find a good source for metric 316 stainless.

Contacted Hilder Rosales today at Hard Industries in Arlington.  Going to Arlington Skyfest next week, and will take him the stubs and see what he can do. I have had enough for searching for parts... I WANT AN EASY BUTTON.

Also, I contacted and heard back from UL Power.  They can source me 60mm and 70mm pipe and bends - just need to know how long.  Shipping is going to be expensive...  There is a new distributor in Canada and he is going to bring them over with his next shipment.

So fast forward 5 weeks (now early october), and I still dont have my exhaust bends.  The new Canadian distributor says that DHL is not reporting location, and they should arrive any day now.

Fast forward to January 2024.  Still no progress.

I was lamenting to some friends that I have no experience here.  So we had a building day... and I now have a TIG in the shop (on loan).

This should not be very hard... it really shouldnt.

So as I step 1... we put the lower cowl on, and mapped out using a piece of welding rod where the exit is.


Next... I need to fix the tips in place off the bottom of the fuselage and start working my way forward to the engine. 

February 2024.  PROGRESS

So I made a bracket using the air deflector fasteners as the holding point.  Then I bought some hole saws that match the tip diameter.  Voila..




So after cutting and grinding and fitting, I have one pipe.


It is not tacked yet.  I used tongue depressors and hose clamps at the joints (thanks to Bob for that trick).  Need to start on the 2nd one after I get home from the next business trip.

2nd pipe in place and close...







So after a bunch of fits and starts (long story...), I have exhaust.



Next is to build the mounts... and send the pipes for ceramic coating...





No comments:

Post a Comment